Financial Management Framework
This course is an introduction to financial management in the APS aimed at both accountants and non-accountants.
The contents of the course include:
- Objectives of sound public sector management and accountability (eg. public money can only be spent if there is an appropriation made by Parliament);
- Legislative and policy framework including key sections of the Constitution (S81 and 83), PGPA Act, fiscal policy – charter of budget honesty;
- Government reporting – public sector accounting standards, agency and WoG accounts;
- Appropriation framework (including Bills/Acts, CRF, special accounts, advance to Finance Minister, departmental vs administered);
- Australian Government Budget process;
- Australian Government – overview of government sector (including central agencies and portfolio level analysis – major revenue and expenditure flows) and standard government processes (research, policy development and advice, program management, and evaluation); and
- Finance value chain and standard agency business model.