John McWilliam – Principal Consultant
John has worked with Resolution Consulting Services for the past fourteen years where he has undertaken performance audit work for the Australian National Audit Office and the ACT Audit Office and provided consultancy services to other Commonwealth Government organisations.
From June 2002 to February 2005, John was the Team Leader of an Institutional Strengthening Project with the Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management (MFEM), after having previously been the Director of the Project. He provided post-project support to MFEM throughout 2005 and has provided support to other Vanuatu government agencies since then. John’s other international projects have included advising on fiscal reforms for the Kerala State Government in India and advising on a medium-term macroeconomic and Budget policy statement for the Latvian Government.
Between 1985 and 2000, John worked in the Social Security/Family and Community Services portfolio. Before this, he managed public housing assistance programs to the states and territories and worked in the Department of Finance and the Treasury. In 1999 and 2000 John was responsible for the Department of Family and Community Services’ involvement in international matters, including the negotiation of international social security agreements.
As Head of the Budget Development Branch in the then Department of Family and Community Services (and before that the Department of Social Security), John was responsible for the overall development of social security policies to be brought forward in the portfolio’s budgets from 1996 to 1999. This role was performed at a key time in the development of a new strategic direction for the portfolio and his involvement was integral to the success of consecutive budget bids. John was also responsible for the introduction of accrual budgeting reforms in the Department of Family and Community Services.
John has had considerable experience in performance planning, management and evaluation, when he was responsible for work leading to the introduction of quality service improvements in the portfolio, and for social policy research.
John has managed the delivery of social security programs. He was Director of Social Security for Queensland from January 1985 to December 1987.
Management Consulting Services
Services that John provides to clients include:
- Strategic organisational and management reviews (including design of corporate governance frameworks and processes)
- Performance audits
- Policy reviews
- Development of controlling frameworks
- Development of funding models and finance strategies
- Business process re-engineering and benchmarking
- Design of service delivery models
- Project and change management (implicit in all projects)
- Strategic review of Government Programs
- Business analyst to define business requirements for business systems/reporting
- Evaluation of tenders and market testing strategy formulation.
Organisations for which John has undertaken work over the past 19 years include:
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audits of:
- the Clean Energy Finance Corporation (2020);
- the ATO’s Task Avoidance Taskforce (2019);
- cost recovery principles across three entities (2018–19);
- the ATO’s Meeting Revenue Commitments from Compliance Measures (2016-17);
- Qualifying for Disability Support Pension – DSS and DHS (2015-16);
- the ATO’s Administration of Contact Centres (2014-15);
- the ATO’s Management of Complaints and Other Feedback (2013-14);
- Administration of Commonwealth Responsibilities under the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health (2012-13);
- Management of Complaints and Other Feedback by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (2011-12);
- Defence’s Management of the Explosive Services Ordnance Services Contract (2010-11);
- Defence’s Management of Health Services to Australian Defence Force Personnel in Australia (2009-10);
- Business Continuity Management and Emergency Management in Centrelink (2008-09);
- Centrelink’s IT Refresh Program (2007); and
- Treasury’s international financial commitments (2006).
- ACT Audit Office – performance audits of:
- referral processes for vulnerable children in the ACT (2018, tabled 2019);
- acceptance of stormwater assets (2017–18);
- scoping and developing of audit work plan for performance audit of The Capital Framework in the ACT (2017);
- member of the audit team for a performance audit of Mental Health Services – transition from acute care in the ACT (2017); and
- Review of the Public Housing Renewal Taskforce’s Financial Model – part of an audit of the Public Housing Renewal Program (2016-17).
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations – Audit of Sample of Schools Funded Under the Digital Education Revolution (2012-13);
- Department of Health and Ageing – Carers Australia: Financial Audit Review (2008);
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman – needs assessment for possible transition from a Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act agency to a Financial Management and Accountability Act agency (2006) and assistance in the transition (2007);
- Australian National Health and Medical Research Council – participation in Organisational Review (2006).
- Project Director, Public Finance Management Institutional Strengthening Project, Solomon Islands (2001-02) – as part of PDP Australia Pty Ltd;
- Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management – Project Director (2001-02) and then Team Leader of AusAID sponsored institutional strengthening project and post project support (2002 to 2005) – as part of PDP Australia Pty Ltd;
- Design of Governance Program for the Vanuatu Government (2005).Latvian Ministry of Finance – Public Expenditure Management Project – Review of national Budget reporting framework (2001); and
- Government of Kerala, India – Involved in preparation of Inception Report on Assisting Fiscal Reforms in Kerala (2001).ACT Audit Office – member of the audit team for a performance audit of Mental Health Services – transition from acute care in the ACT (2017).
John’s employment history includes:
- 19 years consultancy experience, first working in a self-employed capacity, then with PDP Australia Pty Ltd on international projects and, since December 2005, with Resolution Consulting Services.
- 18 years Senior Executive level experience in the Commonwealth Government:
- Assistant Secretary, International Branch, Department of Family and Community Services (1999 to 2000)
- Assistant Secretary, Budget Branch, Department of Social Security/Department of Family and Community Services (1996 to 1999)
- Assistant Secretary, Client Service Programs Branch, Department of Social Security (1992 to 1996)
- Assistant Secretary, Evaluation Branch, Department of Social Security (1991 to 1992)
- Assistant Secretary, Performance Monitoring Branch (1988 to 1991)
- Assistant Secretary, Retirement and Family Policy Branch, Department of Social Security (1988)
- Director of Social Security for Queensland (1984 to 1987)
- Assistant Secretary, Public Housing Branch, Department of Housing and Construction (1982 to 1984)
- 9 years in the Departments of the Treasury and Finance.
- 3 years in the then Department of External Affairs.
John is the principal contact for our Performance Audit team.