John McWilliam – Principal Consultant
John has worked with Resolution Consulting Services for the past eleven years where he has undertaken performance audit work for the Australian National Audit Office, provided consultancy services to other Commonwealth Government organisations and presented modules of the Department of Finance and Administration’s Budget and Financial Essentials course for the University of Canberra.
From June 2002 to February 2005, John was the Team Leader of an Institutional Strengthening Project with the Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management (MFEM), after having previously been the Director of the Project. He provided post-project support to MFEM throughout 2005 and has provided support to other Vanuatu government agencies since then.
His other international projects have included advising on fiscal reforms for the Kerala State Government in India and advising on a medium-term macroeconomic and Budget policy statement for the Latvian Government.
Between 1985 and 2000, John worked in the Social Security/Family and Community Services portfolio. Before this, he managed public housing assistance programs and worked in the Department of Finance and the Treasury.
In 1999 and 2000 John was responsible for the Department of Family and Community Services’ involvement in international matters, including the negotiation of international social security agreements and bids for consultancy work in a number of countries.
As Head of the Budget Development Branch in the then Department of Family and Community Services (and before that the Department of Social Security), John was responsible for the overall development of social security policies to be brought forward in the portfolio’s budgets from 1996 to 1999. This role was performed at a key time in the development of a new strategic direction for the portfolio and his involvement was integral to the success of consecutive budget bids. John was also responsible for the introduction of accrual budgeting reforms in the Department of Family and Community Services.
John has had considerable experience in performance planning, management and evaluation, when he was responsible for work leading to the introduction of quality service improvements in the portfolio, and for social policy research.
John has managed the delivery of social security programs. He was Director of Social Security for Queensland from January 1985 to December 1987.
Education and Training
John has had considerable experience in giving presentations to public servant groups and to the public over his 30 years in government and in his 12 years as a consultant. Of particular relevance has been his experience in presenting Budget and Financial Essentials Modules 4 and 5 (and occasionally Modules 1 and 2) in 2006, courses on the Commonwealth Budget framework and performance management during his time in the Department of Social Security and the Department of Family and Community Services and courses on the Australian Budget framework to international groups.
John has had 18 years senior management experience in the Australian Public Service, where he managed large organisational groups (Social Security operations in Queensland), policy and budget development areas, national service delivery areas and performance improvement (corporate planning, performance information, reporting and evaluation) areas.
John’s other corporate management experience includes:
- Team Leader of an Institutional Strengthening Project with the Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management; and
- Senior level experience in the Department of Finance.
Management Consulting Services
Services that John provides to clients include:
- Strategic organisational and management reviews (including design of corporate governance frameworks and processes)
- Performance audits
- Policy reviews
- Development of controlling frameworks
- Development of funding models and finance strategies
- Business process re-engineering and benchmarking
- Design of service delivery models
- Project and change management (implicit in all projects)
- Strategic review of Government Programs
- Business analyst to define business requirements for business systems/reporting
- Evaluation of tenders and market testing strategy formulation.
Organisations for which John has undertaken work over the past 16 years include:
- ACT Audit Office – performance audit of referral processes for the support of vulnerable children (2018 – audit not yet tabled).
- ACT Audit Office – performance audit of acceptance of stormwater assets (2017).
- ACT Audit Office – scoping and developing of audit work plan for performance audit of The Capital Framework in the ACT (2017).
- ACT Audit Office – member of the audit team for a performance audit of Mental Health Services – transition from acute care in the ACT (2017).
- ACT Audit Office – Review of the Public Housing Renewal Taskforce’s Financial Model – part of an audit of the Public Housing Renewal Program (2016-17).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of the ATO’s Meeting Revenue Commitments from Compliance Measures (2016-17).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Qualifying for Disability Support Pension – DSS and DHS (2015-16).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of the ATO’s Administration of Contact Centres (2014-15).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of the ATO’s Management of Complaints and Other Feedback (2013-14).
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations – Audit of Sample of Schools Funded Under the Digital Education Revolution (2012-13).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Administration of Commonwealth Responsibilities under the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health (2012-13).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Management of Complaints and Other Feedback by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (2011-12).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Defence’s Management of the Explosive Services Ordnance Services Contract (2010-11).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Defence’s Management of Health Services to Australian Defence Force Personnel in Australia (2009-10).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Business Continuity Management and Emergency Management in Centrelink (2008-09).
- Department of Health and Ageing – Carers Australia: Financial Audit Review (2008).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Centrelink’s IT Refresh Program (2007).
- Australian National Audit Office – performance audit of Treasury’s international financial commitments (2006).
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman – needs assessment for possible transition from a Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act agency to a Financial Management and Accountability Act agency (2006) and assistance in the transition (2007).
- Australian National Health and Medical Research Council – participation in Organisational Review (2006).
- AusAID – Design of Governance Program for the Vanuatu Government (2005).
- Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management – Team Leader of AusAID sponsored institutional strengthening project and post project support (2002 to 2005).
- Project Director, Vanuatu Ministry of Finance and Economic Management Institutional Strengthening Project (2001-02).
- Project Director, Public Finance Management Institutional Strengthening Project, Solomon Islands (2001-02).
- Latvian Ministry of Finance – Public Expenditure Management Project – Review of national Budget reporting framework (2001).
- Government of Kerala, India – Involved in preparation of Inception Report on Assisting Fiscal Reforms in Kerala (2001).
John is the principal contact for our Performance Audit team.